If you’ve been looking for the best solution to avoid bad hair days without damaging your hair, then hair weft extensions are just the perfect solution for you. Today, you’ll learn about what weft hair is, what its benefits are, and how you can install it onto your head – using different methods.
What You Need To Know About Hair Weft
1. What is weft hair?
Weft hair is a collection of strands attached to a fine clothing strip at one end. A lot of people who wear extensions go for weft hair because it’s safe and a unique way to deal with lifeless and low-density locks. You might get confused with the terms when coming to hair weft, though, especially weft and weave hair extensions. Some say the former, while others say the latter. A weave is considered to be the method applied to attach a weft, and in this industry, both terms can be used interchangeably.
2. How often do you need to replace hair weave?
This depends on the method you chose to install it. If you apply it with clips, then you may need to put it on in the morning and then take it off at night. If you chose sewn-in or beaded hair extensions, then they will last from 4 to 6 weeks.
3. What are the benefits of hair weft?
- A hair weave can protect your locks against heat damage
- It also strengthens your underneath hair
- Using hair weave is perfect for your growing hair
- Sewn-in weave can add the desired length to your hair
- It’s very affordable
- It offers various hairstyles
Different Ways To Install Hair Weft
There are different methods to attach hair weave. Aside from using Adhesives or Clips, hair wefts can be Beaded, Weaved, or Sewn to the natural hair. Below are the different methods you can try when installing hair weft:
1. Micro ring weft hair extensions
Micro ring weft hair extensions are one of the most popular ways to install hair wefts since anyone with any type of hair can use this method, whether it’s fine or thick, long or short, flat or bulky. They’re free of glue and heat, which makes them safe to reuse. They’re also easy to maintain and take off, so you can style your hair in various ways using this method easily.
Here’s how it works: you need hair weft, a loop, microbead rings, a plier, a rattail comb, and clippers.
How to install them:
- Place the weft to where you want it to be. And then, use the clippers to secure it at two sides of the weave.
- Start from the middle and collect a few strands of your hair with hair from the weft with the same amount.
- Slip one bead onto the loop and pull the collected hair through the loop. And then, insert the hair into the ring, and then slide the bead up to the top, just underneath the stitching.
- Using the plier, try to clamp the microbead ring and push it up and back to a zero-degree angle.
Repeat these steps with the rest of the wefts and finish. Take note that you need to move up your weft after two or three months, based on your hair growth. In the first week of wearing micro ring weft extensions, you might start to feel tight on your head. Once you’re used to it, you’ll love how realistic it looks.
2. Sewing in hair weft extensions
Another common method to attach or install hair wefts is by using the weaving method. You can ask your hairdresser for advice and tips if you want to try DIY.
Here’s how it works:
- Prepare your natural hair by washing it clean before you start sewing so you can get the perfect result after finishing.
- Make cornrows. Take a few hair strands and start braiding them firmly in small, horizontal lines.
- Thread the needle, and then start sewing the weft directly onto your track to achieve a seamless look.
- You can check with your professional hairstylist to install weft hair using this method for you.
This method is perfect for all types of hair. However, it isn’t recommended for people whose hair is too weak, damaged, or fragile.
Don’t forget to shampoo your hair regularly. Also, prevent over-styling with heat – this can help your sew-in weft hair last longer than it should. Moreover, because of the tight braid, it’ll take some time for your hair to dry after you wash it. So, when you’re drying your hair with extension, make sure to dry in small horizontal parts.
3. Tape-on weft hair extensions
This method is mostly used to install skin weft extensions. Skin weft is designed to provide a seamless scalp-like effect for the users. The structure of this weft type makes it hard for people to know that you’re wearing an extension. Also, seamless skin weft extensions work with the tape-in method.
Here’s how it works: It works exactly the same as other tape in hair extensions - a thin layer of hair is sandwiched between two pieces of skin weft extensions. This requires installation after 6 to 8 weeks, just like other tape-ins.
Here's a video to show it~
We’ve discussed the three major methods on how to install human hair weave. While a lot of people are used to installing and removing wefts by themselves, it’s best to have a professional stylist do that for you, since installation requires skills and the right tools to get the best results. You don’t want to risk ruining anything. If you want to reuse the wefts as many times as you can, check out Full Shine Hair for your options.
Reapplication is necessary when using a hair weave because it needs to be attached closer to the roots of the tresses. As soon as your breadth grows, the track of weft moves further down and will look more visible. You don’t want other people to know that you’re wearing hair extensions, right? We hope you learned a lot about hair weft today!